Top 10 Phrases You Might Hear at a Steer Sale
Over the years we’ve covered thousands of miles looking for calves for our sons to show. We’ve learned to interpret some of the trader language over the years.
10. "Sure he'll hair back up for your show in August. We just clipped him close so you could really see him."
9. "He's sound. That little bit of pop in his pastern will go away with exercise and weight."
8. "He's a May baby.....not sure how his ears got frostbitten....must've happened in the cool room."
7. "Of course, he's kid broke." (As you notice the bottle of thorazine laying in their office...)
6. "I've had 4 people in line for him, but I guess I'd let him go for $10,000 since you're just getting started."
5. "We'll come help you get him ready for the show - just give us a call."
4. "Yes, sir, he's out of Monopoly, can't you tell?"
3. "We're just a small time family operation, trying to make a living at this cattle thing."
2. "Of course we'll come support your kid at the livestock premium sale."
1. "Let me check the bid sheet to see where you'd have to be......Oh, maybe this calf will be more in your range. He should be healthy soon."
Cover Photo: Montana Ag Photo